1.1.Rationale of the program
During the last few decades the financial world has gone through a complete transformation. Deregulation of financial markets, spurred by dramatic technological evolutions, tore down the walls that had existed between domestic and international money and capital markets as well as between banks, insurance companies and stock brokers. Competition became the buzzword. World-wide financial service companies began restructuring their business lines and started developing new products and markets. Finally, the recent financial crisis showed the importance of understanding financial markets in detail and highlighted the necessity of a solid risk management.
The industry of banking and other financial institutions are flourishing in our country and require professionals of banking and finance. As the university strives to meet the human resource needs of the country for overall development, it considers educational relevance, high quality training, applied research etc. Accordingly, the department aims at training highly caliber professionals, who are skillful and knowledgeable in Banking, Insurance and other finance sectors.
1.2.1.General Objectives of the program
The general objective of the program is to produce competent and responsive banking and finance professionals who can address the community’s problems through innovative and practical means and broadly speaking, to contribute for the development financial sector.
1.2.2.Specific Objectives of the program
The program of Banking and Finance has the following specific objectives:
- To produce competent graduates with updated knowledge and skill in the field of Banking, Insurance and other Finance sectors.
- To fill the gap between the theory & practical aspects of Banking and Finance
- To produce professionals who provide consultancy service in the area of banking, insurance and other finance sector.
- To create and develop linkage with various financial institutions such as Banks, insurance and other Finance companies and research institutions.
- Contribute to societal development through the training of responsive professionals and the conduct of high-quality relevant research.
Graduates of the department are of special advantage to employers since they will have a profound knowledge in banking, insurance and other finance sectors and can handle duties assigned to them in all areas. They are capable of conducting economic and financial analysis required for sound decision-making .Project preparation; monitoring and evaluation activities are within their domain. They are able to conduct research activities in any institution. The comprehensive knowledge they acquire in all disciplines will highly qualify them to serve in financial institutions, NGO’s, Government and private business organizations.
- Graduates of banking and finance are believed to be equipped with pertinent knowledge, skill and attitude in the following tasks:
- Manage duties in microfinance institutions at various positions and can facilitate the establishment of microfinance institutions.
- Facilitates the operation of financial institutions and financial markets
- Manage any financial company locally and internationally.
- Undertake underwriting activities in insurance companies.
- Advice and assist clients in business oriented project identification, evaluation and investment analysis.
- Undertake researchers in impact assessment studies, in devising better ways of business and economic analysis.
- Manage and handle duties related to import and export.
- Apply information technology for exchanging information to deal with foreign exchange and financial issues.
- Admission Requirement
- Admission requirement for undergraduate program
Admission to all regular degree programs is based on the national admissions requirements set by the ministry of Education
- Admission requirement forpostgraduate program
Those with first degree in Banking and finance/Insurance, Accounting and Finance, Management/Business Management, Co-operative, Marketing Management, purchasing and supply chain management can be directly admitted
First degree holders in Economics, Hotel management , Tourism Management and others from the college of business and economics those who do not took the course Financial management in their undergraduate level, The course Financial Management will be given as a bridge course.
- Academic Program and streams
|NO||Academic program||Duration Of Study|
|Bachelor Degree Banking and Finance||3 years||6 years||4 years|
|Masters of Arts in Finance and Investment||2 years||4 years||
1.5.Academic Staff profile
The staff profiles of the Banking and Finance program of the Department are as below
|Name||Sex||Nationality||Academic Rank||Area of Specialization|
|1||Bekele Abraham||M||Ethiopian||Lecturer||Finance& Investmentemail@example.com|
|2||Belay Dargie||M||“||Lecturer||Finance& Investment||Belayabdt21@gmail.com|
|3||Brhane T/Yergs||M||“||Lecturer||Finance & Investmentfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|4||G/Egzabher Abraha||M||“||Lecturer||Accounting & Financeemail@example.com|
|6||Yonas Mamuye||M||“||A/Lecturer||Banking & Insurancefirstname.lastname@example.org|
|8||Hagos G/Mikael||M||Ethiopian||PhD fellow||Finance & Investmentemail@example.com|
|9||G/HiwotHailu||M||“||PhD fellow||Finance & Investmentfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|10||Haftu Mekonnen||F||“||PhD fellow||MBAemail@example.com|