About the Institute: The Institute of Archaeology and Tourism at Aksum University is established in 2016/17 by having four core departments. These departments were Archaeology and Heritage Management, History and Heritage Management, Tourism Management, and Hotel Management. Another sister discipline of the above mentioned disciplines, Anthropology, was opened in 2018/19 academic year. Having these five sister departments, Aksum University is striving to achieve center of excellence. The University is established in the ancient center of civilization of our country and it is an ideal place for studying History, Archaeology, Tourism, Hotel, Religion, Geez, Anthropology, and other disciplines.
Rationale: Axum possesses an indigenous civilization of its own in all of its forms which stretches the whole area around Red Sea. As a continuum of its previous civilizations, it served as a capital of Axumite Empire for at least 1000 years. There are archeological evidences for domestication of plants such as teff, dagussa and nug in Gobo Dura rock shelter which can be calibrated to five to six thousand years ago. The other indigenous knowledge for which Axum is known is its writing system and language-Geez-the sole writing system and spoken language in sub-Saharan Africa. In relation to this the zemen mequteria or Ethiopian calendar is originated in Axum and this makes Axum or Ethiopia the owner of its own unique indigenous calendar that is different from the rest of the world. Axum has also developed a spectacular technology of stone curving and using stone for erecting stelea, building palaces, built churches, rock hewn churches and residential houses and so on. The Axumites were also known for their elaborate handcrafts which were made from gold, silver and bronze. They were also known craftsmen for basketry and other metallurgy. The activity of working hand craft still continues in Axum in its versatile manner.
The Institute is envisioned to become the country’s excellence in tourism and hospitality, anthropology, archaeology and heritage management education, research and community services by 2030.
Aksum University Institute of Archaeology and Tourism is dedicated to contribute to the sustainable socio-cultural and economic development of the country through the provision of Archaeology, Heritage Management, Anthropology, History, Tourism and Hospitality Industry based education, problem solving researches, and relevant community service delivery.
The institute will specifically address to:
- Meet Workforce Development Needs
It produces competent work force with enough skill and knowledge to meet the need and demand of the country that can engage in identification, research and development of Ethiopian nations, nationality and peoples’ culture and history to be used for their socio-economic wellbeing.
- Promote and Support Innovative Research and Training Opportunities
- To bring together the necessary skills and knowledge and to coordinate resources to facilitate collaborative research that can respond in a timely manner to nationwide and regional training needs.
- To carry out research that will allow the nation to meet its multifaceted objectives and ensure effective decision-making. A significant part of the research effort has to be a future planning and development approach to allow a full range of stakeholders to anticipate changes in the tourism and travel markets and to develop products and services that will meet the visitor’s needs.
- To continue to evolve the archaeology and tourism models and approaches used in the nation.
- To serve as a knowledge management center that will provide the nation with coordinated and accessible information on a wide range of tourism and hospitality issues and concerns.
- To promote interdisciplinary research and training proposal and initiatives.
III. Provide Out Reach Service
- To help in ensuring that communities and non-governmental organizations, heritage conservationists, Historians, state agencies, tour operators, hotel owners etc. have access to outreach activities (technical advice, seminars, workshops, organizational assistance) that encourage and promote sustainable and responsible development.
- To work with community groups, small and medium-size enterprises and government organization to help ensure that all residents of country and Axum specifically have an opportunity of becoming part of cultural heritage conservation and management, as well as tourism economy.
- Provide Leadership in the Axumite Heritage and Tourism Industry
- To provide leadership in tourism and hospitality related issues in the country through advocacy, seminars, conferences, education and trainings
- Deliver Leading Edge profession development and Consultancy Services
- Given the wide range of disciplines and capacities within the university faculties and the collaborative nature in which they work, the Institute will deliver innovative and leading edge professional development and consultancy services.
- Indigenous knowledge Practice, heritage management and development
- Archaeological resource documentation and promotion
- Tourism and hospitality development
- Archaeological resource excavation, conservation and promotion
- Ancient living traditional practices or indigenous knowledge
- Tangible and intangible heritages
- Heritage management and development
- Indigenous knowledge system and traditional practice
- Hotel industry and tourism development
|No||Full Name||Position||Email address||Phone no|
|1||Teklebrhan Legesse (Mr.)
|2||Negasi Awetehey (Mr.)||Head of Archaeology and Heritage Managementfirstname.lastname@example.org||+251914494087/0991263086|
|3||Yordanos Mulugeta (Mr.)||Head of History and Heritage Managementemail@example.com||+251914136792|
|4||Girmay Halefom (Mr.)||Head of Anthropologyfirstname.lastname@example.org||+251951149259|